This is one of my favorite cookie recipes to make because it’s simple, and I usually have all of the ingredients on hand in the pantry. I like to spice things up by adding garam masala to the batter for a richer flavor, but nutmeg or ground cloves would be just fine.
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1-3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (or nutmeg)
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1-1/2 cups raisins (or 1 cup raisins and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts)
*To make 1/2 cup sour milk, add 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk and let stand 5 minutes before using.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs together until they are light and fluffy. Stir in buttermilk or sour milk.
Sift together dry ingredients; stir into creamed mixture. Stir in oats, raisins, and walnuts (if using). Drop from a tablespoon – 2 inches apart – on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake cookies for about 8 minutes per batch. Let cool slightly before removing from pan. Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.